Monday 7 March 2011

The walk to work

Tonights walk to work wasn't the usual charge headlong for three miles. I decided to leave a bit later and take it slowly and enjoy the walk - I normally arrive at work horrifically early anyway.

My thoughts tonight were alot calmer than the usual whirlpool of things, which I suppose is a nice change. Usually my mind is somwhere between definite boundaries - the space between in which is hard to define.At some level there was a part of me taking comfort in the fact i didnt ache as much as the previous few days - a change in exercise routine had shocked my body somewhat, now I was beginning to get used to it. The path of progress I am often told is a painful one (he chuckles to himself).

I perhaps was also taking solace in the fact that I had booked some time off work - in particular the few days around March 23rd (mentioned previously in "making a difference"). It always holds revelation, development or resonance of some kind for me. I realised a few moments ago that it was probably a decade now that the date had outlined itself to be important, and had led me unwittingly on a path towards discoveries i hadnt bakc then percieved the existence of, let alone understood.

But back to matters at hand, tonight the walk to work was a calm and peaceful one - and so it should be. Theres plenty of opportunity along the way to work to enjoy the surroundings. I pass through three city park areas, along a main road and traverse the space bewteen two towns. The first part of which, although inside an urban area, is quite peacful. Just after i leave my house and go along the road, is a large park which has a heavy yield of wildlife. Mostly ducks, geese and swans with the occasional squirrel or two, but theres some tasteful architecture, water features and some lovely foliage.

The second park i go through isnt as lavish, and is home to a good many magpies in the morning. Its not as well lit in or around the other park, but i quite prefer it because on a clear night, as you enter this park, the stars put on a great show. To my left orion, and the bright and briliant star sirius show themselves, and accompany me for the entireity of my journey. Looking up I see the pleiades, cassiopeia and the plough lit above like tiny candles hanging in the sky. For some strange reason, i feel that when I look up and see the stars, I feel phenomenally safe. Sometimes the moon makes an appearance also, but not tonight. It's still new.

Then its on to the third park area, the graveyard. There are those amongst you who probably feel thats its a bit odd i would choose to cut through the graveyard in the dark, but seriously its probably one of the most peaceful places there is. I take great comfort in knowing there are those resting around me in hallowed ground - a history of those who came and went before us, who walked the land as we do, and who rested as we probably will. Two statues of angels mark either side of the path - I always look at them and think to myself they serve as watchers or guardians of the path and the graveyard. Gracious and solemn, thoughful and insightful they stand unmoved.

A light in the sky ahead made me curious as to its origin. Plane? Helicopter? Space shuttle? Extra terrestrial visitors? No such luck it was a search helipcopter. Two search helicopters in fact. I'm guessing the new moon sent someone on the run. nonetheless the excitement was there, the desire to learn something new. I told myself that the day i look around at the world and am uninterested in it, is the day I shouldn't

For the larger part, the walk was entertained by Gustav Mahler and his first symphony "the titan". An interesting piece of music which bought back memories of being a teenager - i first discovered this symphony when i was about fourteen, along with beethovens famous "pastorale" symphony number six. I usually let me mp3 player pick randomly what i am to listen to - let the forces of fate deicde my mindset. I'm glad that tonight I did.

I say tonight, its actually morning, and i have found a spare few minutes at work to write this down. Which means of course it is shrove tuesday, or "pancake day" as it is affectionately known. A time of enjoyment I have always found - im fond of pancakes and all of their forms, shapes and sizes. I may cook a savoury pancake dish for the folks at home tonight.

No comments: