Saturday 19 March 2011

T Minus...Wings please..

I suppose im now counting down the march 23rd. Whatever it may bring..... The moon tonight is said to be closest to earth its been since 1993 - It should be a lovely sight providing the skies stay clear. An ominous time for me - a full moon and an impending date which collides with the first days of spring....

Having climbed the mountain yesterday I feel renewed in vigour and outlook somewhat, although I have kept a nice reminder of the hike - I still have a few aches and pains but nothing major. My hips and my neck feel a little stiff but other than this I'm fine. For your perusal I decided to take a few pictures at the summit of Mt. Snowdon - we were blessed with a glorious day which was extremeley warm on the way up (but very cold at the top).


There was a gratifying peace in the looking down over the world, watching people, houses and buildings become smaller, as we ascended up Mt. Snowdon. In the third photo, if you look closely you can see the coast on either side of wales, and the isle of Anglesey.

On the way up, trudging along and upwards steadily I was reminded heartily of the "Hermit" card in the tarot deck - an image of wisdom, perseverance and patience.



I suppose at the moment this is a good motto for me, knowing that something is up ahead, and waiting patiently for it to arrive - for nobody can control the passage of time. Along with this symbology, my friend who I hiked up the mountain with likened me to "Gandalf", the wizard in the Tolkien classic "Lord of the rings". Its because i'm wise apparently (we will leave the old bit out). In true hermit fashion he is depicted lighting the way also in the darkest of places, leading men and others, against the darkness, and finding their own strengths. In retrospect, the climb was a pleasant challenge - but it was not easy. I had the foresight to bring my heart rate monitor, which showed a total of 2100 calories. Thats some exercise!


Did it bring me everything I hoped it would - nice views, picturesque scenery, and pleasant walk, a challenge - yes. There was something also incredibly calming about hearing almost absoloute silence. Although some sounds of distant places carried on the wind was somewhat interesting. From these welsh mountains, looking across at the pretty landscape, I wondered to myself, how many had trodden these steps before, how many leaders of men, Kings,Queens, Emperors, Politicians, Teachers, Mentors, Knights, or even common men could not fail to see the value of all things, looking down at the world. Up here it seemed, money didn't matter, possessions didn't matter. Life up here was different. Literally the world at ones feet. 

A bird flew past, calling - presumably to other birds. It had followed us all of the way up - i was comforted to have an aerial companion to watch our journey. It reminded me somewhat of the symbology of the ace of birds (ace of swords in the original tarot deck), which is depicted to carry an arrow. It signifies decisive, determined and direct approaches to life. In this instance, thats what mattered on the mountaintop. Should you be born with wings, you could fly to anywhere from here with only the wind to get in your way. I concluded that was the purpose of the ascent, to realise ones limitations and potentials.From here,  decided there can be only the elements in my way from achieving what I wish to. For those who master the elements - the cosmos is theirs for exploring.

At the top of the mountain there was a waypoint showing directions to all of the places the eye (and further could see). But no man could step from here to those places - save only on wings. I do not have those... in which case I must walk. But isn't the journey more important than the destination? From here, I guess, the infinite waypoint, my journey continues. Wings optional.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome pics matty, should have had a few showing you at the top :) Well done x or gwneud yn dda gwaith da matty ;)

Unknown said...

Lol thanks (googles translation). Wales is so much nicer than England Ive decided.

Unknown said...

well of course it is :) only special people live in wales 2;) lol!!